No outfit is complete without a pair of beautiful earrings. Earrings can light up any dull outfit and can accentuate the features of your face. But even these tiny objects require cleaning for the very purpose of hygiene. You need to sanitize and clean your earrings to protect them from rust or carrying germs which would in turn affect your piercing.
Before we get into any of these methods, always remember to wash your hands and sanitize them well before you clean your earrings simply because you always want them to be dirt and germ free.
A hassle free way to clean your earrings is asking your local jeweler to do it but if you wish to do it on your own, here are few ways which are super easy:
- Clean Earrings Using rubbing alcohol: The simplest and easiest way to clean your earrings is by using rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is available in any retail outlet or supermarket. Apart from using rubbing alcohol, one can also use hydrogen peroxide. Now, while using these cleaning agents make sure your hands are properly washed and sanitized. If necessary, use kitchen gloves to avoid any burns. You can use rubbing alcohol in small proportions either by using a cotton pad or a cotton earbud.
Now, if you don’t have rubbing alcohol, you can always use a hand sanitizer. A sanitizer contains 60% of ethyl alcohol which can be used to clean or disinfect. It would work in the same magical way like a rubbing alcohol.
- Clean Earrings Using a dish soap: You can totally go out of your way and use a dish soap to clean your earrings. Yes, you read that right! You will need a bowl of dish soap diluted with water and a towel to clean the earrings. The best way is to soak your earrings in the dish soap solution for a couple of hours and then washing them in a separate bowl filled with water.
Another alternative for the same would be using white vinegar, glycerin and a few drops of lime juice. This can act as a replacement for the dish soap, just that you would have to go that extra mile to combine these ingredients and use it, although it works just as fine.
- Clean Earrings Using Baking Soda and Vinegar: Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a base whose pH value is more than 7, when mixed with white vinegar which is acidic in nature, causes a reaction during which carbon dioxide is released as a bi-product. Use a cotton pad or a Q-Tip to clean the surface. Do not soak your earrings in this solution. The mixture formed can be used to clean rust or dirt on the earrings and regain its shine.
- Cleaning metal or silver earrings: A super easy and awesome way to clean your silver earrings is by using aluminum foil. The steps are:
- Take a chunk of aluminum foil and roll it into the shape of a ball.
- In a vessel, heat about 2 cups of water and add some baking soda and the aluminum foil.
- Disperse your earrings into the apparatus.
A displacement reaction takes place when you add baking soda to the foil. Hence your silver pleated earrings regain its shine and voila! There you have your earrings as good as new. Be cautious while handling boiled water. You can use kitchen gloves for the same.
Do not use dish soap to clean pearl or diamond studded earrings, simply because it would wash away its shine and leave you a rather dull set of earrings. You can simply use soap and water to clean them and let it dry. The above ways work well with metal, silver or gold earrings. Clean the earrings twice or thrice a year for a better shine.
These are some of the tips and tricks to clean your earrings. Apart from these you can also use the Q-tip and clean them occasionally. Hope this helps and make cleaning more fun! Flaunt your shine.